Publications by Dr. Penny Patterson, et al:
52. Rose, A. L., Patterson, F. and Cohn, R. Michael’s
Dream (profile of a sign-language enculturated gorilla who may have been a witness to the bushmeat demise of his parents, as an infant), in preparation, 2013.
51. Kaufman, J.A., Tszka, J.M., Patterson, F.P., Erwin, J.M., Hof, P.R. and Allman, J.M., "Structural Diffusion MRI of a Gorilla Brain Performed Ex Vivo at 9.4 Tesla," in The Human Brain Evolving: Paleoneurological Studies in Honor of Ralph L. Holloway, Ed. Broadfield, D., Yuan, M., Schick, K. and Toth, N., Sone Age Institute Press, 2010, pp. 171-181.
50 . Tanner, Joanne E., Patterson, Francine G. and Byrne, Richard
W.; The Development
of Spontaneous Gestures in Zoo-living Gorillas and Sign-taught Gorillas: From Action
and Location to Object Representation; The Journal of Developmental
Processes, Fall 2006, Volume 1, 69-102.
49 . Patterson, F.G.P., "Koko," in Encyclopedia
of Animal Behavior, Volume 2, section G (Gorillas),
edited by Marc Bekoff, Greenwood Press, 2004.
49. Rose, A. L., Patterson, F. and Cohn, R. Michael’s
Dream, in press.
48. Patterson, F.G.P "Communication Studies" in The
Great Ape Project Census: Recognition for the Uncounted, (Foreword
by Peter Singer), 2003, Great Ape Project (GAP) Books. Pp. 219-232.
47. Bonvillian, J.D., & Patterson, F.G.P. “A New Paradigm?”
comment on “The Emergence of a New Paradigm in Ape Language
Research” by Shanker, S.G. and King, B.J. Behavioral and
Brain Sciences, 2002, 25, 621-622.
46. Patterson, F.G.P. and Gordon, W. "Twenty-seven years
of Project Koko and Michael." In Birute Galdikas, Nancy
Briggs, Lori Sheeran, Gary Shapiro, and Jane Goodall (eds.),
All Apes Great and Small, Volume I: Chimpanzees, Bonobos, and Gorillas. Kluwer Press,
45. Patterson, F.G.P. and Matevia, M.L. "The status of
gorillas worldwide." In Birute Galdikas, Nancy Briggs,
Lori Sheeran, Gary Shapiro, and Jane Goodall (eds.), All Apes
Great and Small, Volume I: Chimpanzees, Bonobos, and Gorillas.
Kluwer Press, 2002.
44. Matevia, M.L., Patterson, F.G.P. and Hillix, W.A. "Pretend
play in a signing gorilla." In Robert Mitchell, Pretending
and Imagination in Animals and Children. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press, February 2002.
43. McFarland, R.K., Patterson, F.G.P and Zihlman, A.L. “Body
composition in a prime adult male gorilla compared to a male
of similar body mass and a female of similar age,” presented
at the 70th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Physical
Anthropologists, Kansas City, Missouri, March 28-31, 2001.
42. Patterson, F.G.P., Matevia, M.L. and Hillix, W.A. "Language
acquisition in lowland gorillas: What Project Koko has shown
us." Russian Journal of Foreign Psychology. Moscow: Master
41. Bonvillian, J.D. and Patterson, F.G.P. "Early Sign-Language
Acquisition: Comparisons between Children and Gorillas."
In S.T. Parker, R.W. Mitchell and H.L. Miles (eds.), The Mentalities
of Gorillas and Orangutans. New York: Cambridge University Press,
40. Patterson, F. Koko-Love! Conversations with a Signing Gorilla.
Dutton Children’s Books, New York, 1999.
39. Bonvillian, J.D. and Patterson, F.G.P. "Sign Language
Acquisition and the Development of Meaning in a Lowland Gorilla."
In C. Mandell and A. McCabe (eds.), The Problem of Meaning:
Behavioral and Cognitive Perspectives. Amsterdam: Elsevier,
38. Kranz, L.A., and Patterson, F. "State of the Art Preserve
Designed For and By Gorillas." Humane Innovations and Alternatives,
1994, 8, 574-578.
37. Bonvillian, J.D., Maynard, A.E., and Patterson, F.G.P. "The
Acquisition of Sign Formational Aspects in a Lowland Gorilla,"
poster presented at the 6th Annual Conference of the American
Psychological Society, Washington, D.C., July 1994.
36. Patterson, F.G.P., and Cohn, R.H. "Self-recognition
and Self-awareness in Lowland Gorillas." In S.T. Parker,
R.W. Mitchell and M.L. Boccia (eds.), Self-awareness in Animals
and Humans. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1994.
35. Bonvillian, J.D. and Patterson, F.G.P. "Early Language
Acquisition in Children and Gorillas: Vocabulary Content and
Sign Iconicity." First Language, 1993, 13, 315-338.
34. Patterson, F., and Gordon, W. "The Case for the Personhood
of Gorillas." In P. Cavalieri and P. Singer (eds.), The
Great Ape Project: Equality Beyond Humanity. London: Fourth
Estate, 1993 and New York: St. Martin’s, 1994.
33. Patterson, F.G.P., Holts, C.L., and Saphire, L. "Cyclic
Changes in Hormonal, Physical, Behavioral and Linguistic Measures
in a Female Lowland Gorilla." American Journal of Primatology,
1991, 24, 181-194.
32. Tanner, J. & Patterson, F. Gestural communication in
captive lowland gorillas. Paper presented at the Thirteenth
Annual meeting of the American Society of Primatologists, Davis,
California, July, 1990.
31. Patterson, F.G.P. & Holts, C.L. Project Koko: Language
acquisition by lowland gorillas. In Introduction to the Study
of Language, F. Peng & B. Hoffer (Eds.). London: Cole and
Whurr, Ltd., 1990.
30. Patterson, F.G.P., and Cohn, R.H. "Language Acquisition
by a Lowland Gorilla: Koko’s First Ten Years of Vocabulary
Development," Word, August 1990, 41 (2), 97-143.
29. Patterson, F., and Kennedy, M.K. "Interspecies Communication:
Humane Innovation." Humane Innovations and Alternatives
in Animal Experimentation—A Notebook, 1989, 3, 126-127.
28. Patterson, F., Tanner, J., and Mayer, N. "Pragmatic
Analysis of Gorilla Utterances: Early Communicative Development
in the Gorilla Koko." Journal of Pragmatics, 1988, 12 (1),
27. Patterson, F., and Patterson, C.H. "Review of Ape Language:
From Conditioned Response to Symbol." American Journal
of Psychology, 1988, 101 (4), 582-590.
26. Patterson, F., and Espey, L. Gorilla Facility Survey Results.
Laboratory Primate Newsletter, 1988, 27 (1), 27-28.
25. Patterson, F., Patterson, C. H., and Brentari, D.K. "Language
in Child, Chimp, and Gorilla." American Psychologist, March
1987, 42 (3), 270-272.
24. Patterson, F., and Espey, L. "Procedures at the Gorilla
Foundation." Gorilla Gazette, November 1987, 1 (2).
23. Patterson, F. Koko's Story. New York: Scholastic Books,
22. Patterson, C.H., and Patterson, F.G. "On Being Human—Language
and Primates." Contemporary Psychology, Letters, 1986,
21. Patterson, F. "The Mind of the Gorilla: Conversation
and Conservation." In K. Benirschke (ed.), Primates: The
Road to Self-Sustaining Populations. New York: Springer-Verlag,
20. Patterson, F., Share, E., and Cornwall, C. "Interspecies
Communication and Conservation." Primate Conservation (IUCN/SSC),
January 1985, 5, 39-40.
19. Patterson, F. Koko's Kitten. New York: Scholastic Books,
18. Patterson, F. "Self-Recognition by Gorilla Gorilla
Gorilla.” Gorilla Journal, June 1984, 7(2), 2-3.
17. Patterson, F. "Gorilla Language Acquisition." National Geographic Society Research Reports, vol.17 (1976 Projects).
Washington, D.C.: National Geographic Society, January1985.
16. Patterson, F., and Linden, E. The Education of Koko. New
York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1981.
15. Patterson, F. "More on Ape Talk." The New York
Review of Books, April 1981, 28 (5), 43.
14. Patterson, F. "Koko the Articulate Gorilla." Ms.
Magazine, December 1981, 42-48.
13. Patterson, F. "Gorilla Warfare." American Psychological
Association Monitor, Letters, January 1981, 2 (1), 16, 41.
12. Patterson, F. "Generalized Language Ability in the
Gorilla." Paper presented at the annual meeting of the
American Psychological Association, Los Angeles, August 1981.
11. Patterson, F. "Can an Ape Create a Sentence? Some Affirmative
Evidence." Science, 1981, 211, 86-87.
10. Patterson, F. "In Search of Man: Experiments
in Primate Communication." The Michigan Quarterly
Review, Winter 1980, 19 (1), 95-114.
9. Patterson, F. "Gorilla Talk: Comment on Monkey
Business." The New York Review of Books, October
1980, 27 (15), 45-46.
8. Patterson, F.G. "Innovative Uses of Language
by a Gorilla: A Case Study." in K.E. Nelson (ed.), Children's Language, vol. 2. New York: Gardner Press, 1980.
7. Patterson, F. "Comment on Terrace." NYU Educational Quarterly, Letters, 1980, 11 (3), 33.
6. Patterson, F.G. "Linguistic Capabilities of
a Young Lowland Gorilla." In F.C. Peng (ed.), Sign Language and Language Acquisition in Man and Ape: New Dimensions
in Comparative Pedolinguistics. Boulder, Colorado: Westview
Press, 1978. Reprinted in R.L. Schiefelbusch and J.H. Hollis
(eds.), Language Intervention from Ape to Child. Baltimore,
Maryland: University Park Press, 1979.
5. Patterson, F.G. Linguistic Capabilities of a Lowland
Gorilla. Stanford University, Ph.D. dissertation, 1979.
University Microfilms International, Ann Arbor, MI 48106 (#79-172-69).
Abs. in Dissertation Abstracts International, August 1979, 40-B,
4. Patterson, F. "Conversations with a Gorilla." National Geographic, October 1978, 154 (4), 438-465. Condensed
in Reader's Digest, March 1979, 114 (683), 81-86.
3. Scott, M.S., Brown, A.L., and Patterson, F. "Conditional
Relational Learning in Preschool Children." The
Journal of Genetic Psychology, 1978, 32, 55-66.
2. Patterson, F.G.P. "Human Communication with
Gorillas." in G.B. Stone (ed.), In the Spirit
of Enterprise. San Francisco: W.H. Freeman & Co., 1978.
1. Patterson, F.G. "The Gestures of a Gorilla:
Language Acquisition in Another Pongid." Brain
and Language, 1978, 5, 72-97.
Visual References (alphabetical):
1. The Discoverers, (CD-ROM) Knowledge Adventure, Inc., La Crescenta,
CA, (800) 542-4240.
2. The Gorilla Foundation and SVE and Churchill Media. Koko's
Kitten. Churchill Media, 6677 North Northwest Hwy, Chicago,
IL 60631-1304, (800) 829-1900.
3. Harrar, L. Signs of the Apes, Songs of the Whales. (Videotape)
Boston, MA: WGBH Educational Foundation, Nova.
4. Johnson, Anne C. Are They Really Dumb? —Intelligence
and Language among the Animals. (Filmstrip) News Currents, Knowledge
Unlimited 1984, Box 52, Madison, WI 53701.
5. Moses, Harry. Talk to the Animals, a 12-minute,16-mm film
produced for 60 Minutes, CBS. Available through CRM McGraw-Hill
Films, 110 Fifteenth Street, Del Mar, CA 92014.
6. National Geographic Society. Gorilla. (Videotape) 1986. Available
through Movies Unlimited, (800) 523-0823 (Product no. 471590).
7. Patterson, P. Women on Leadership: Insights from Women Making
an Impact on our World (interview on CD). Thompson, M. and Wilson
R. (Eds). Leaders of the New Century series by Network Public
Broadcasting International, 2002
8. Schroeder, Barbet. Koko, a Talking Gorilla, 1978. Videotape
available through Baker & Taylor Company, Chicago, (800)
9. Successmaker Reading Adventures, (CD-ROM) Computer Curriculum
Corporation, 1287 Lawrence Station Road, Sunnyvale, CA. (800)
10. Visty/Brennan Productions and Thirteen/WNET in association
with the Gorilla Foundation/Koko.org. A Conversation with Koko.
Nature Video Library. 1999.
1. Clark, M. et al., "Koko’s Mac II: A Preliminary
Report." In L. Brenda (ed.), The Art of Human-Computer
Interface Design. Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley Pub.
2. Cohn, R.H. "Interspecies Communication for Gorilla Enrichment
and Research," Proceedings: Columbus Zoo Gorilla Workshop,
June 22-25, 1990.
3. Cohn, Ronald. H. "Koko." Faces, November 1990,
4. Crail, Ted. Apetalk and Whalespeak. Los Angeles: J.P. Tarcher,
5. Fadiman, Anne. "How a Loquacious Gorilla Named Koko
Became Smitten With Kittens." Life, July 1985, 8(8), 22-28.
Condensed in Reader’s Digest, October 1985, 127, (762),
6. Godwin, Sara. Gorillas. New York: Mallard Press, 1990.
7. Goodreau, M.T., "Speech Sound Discrimination Ability
in a Lowland Gorilla." San Jose State University, Dept.
of Communication Sciences and Disorders, M.A. thesis, May 1987.
8. Gorilla, a journal published semiannually by the Gorilla
Foundation, Box 620-530, Woodside, CA 94062.
9. Griffiths, Joan, "Gorilla My Dreams: Designing an Ape’s
Computer Poses Unexpected Challenges." Omni, November 1991,
10. McNulty, Faith. With Love from Koko. New York: Scholastic
11. Summers, Beth. "Koko’s Computer." National
Geographic World, November 1993, (219), 14-17.
12. Vessels, Jane. "Koko's Kitten." National Geographic,
January 1985, 167 (1), 110-113.
13. Watson, Lyna M. "Hormone Levels and Overt Social Behaviors,
Including Signed Output, in a Captive Lowland Gorilla."
Zoo Biology, 1984, 3, 285-306.