On July 4th, 2008, Koko celebrated her 37th birthday — her 36th with the Gorilla Foundation. Among other birthday surprises, she enjoyed a special birthday lunch, prepared by the staff, but designed by Koko herself (she dictated the menu). In this video you’ll see Koko enjoying some of her favorites from the luncheon birthday menu, including:
- Veggie Corn Dog
- Soy & Pesto Pizza with Artichokes
- Coconut Curry Tofu
- Rice Krispie “layer cake”
- Pecan Butter on Flax Flatbread
- Hummus & Tahini on Soy/Flax Chips
- Adult Brownie (mini square)
- Beverage Tray: Sparkling Apple, Sparkling Grape, Cran-Apple and non-alcoholic “Champagne”
Later that day, in addition to her usual assortment of raw vegetables, Koko also enjoyed a special fruit salad with blueberries and nectarines, a small piece of salmon with corn on the cob, and her own (small) chocolate alligator filled with rice cereal and nuts.
NOTE: We’ll be posting photos and more videos of Koko opening her presents and continuing her July 4th birthday celebration later this week — on both KokoPix and KokoFlix.